Pharmacy Technicians primarily assist the pharmacist, help prepare and distribute medications, review prescriptions for completeness and authenticity, assist in payment and billing, control inventory and place orders. The work is very rewarding, including financially. Full-time Pharmacy Techs earn between $31,000 and $46,000 per year (part-time positions also exist) and often receive benefits. Pharmacy Techs working in a clinical environment like a hospital typically earn 30-40% more per hour, up to $79,000 per year. Pharmacy Technician is among the fastest growing occupations in California, predicted to grow by 25-35% through 2018.
The Westside Extension Pharmacy Technician Program can prepare you for a career in this high-demand field in 9 months. If you missed our last Free Orientation, then view a slideshare of it at the bottom.
Modularized So You Can Start Throughout the Year
The Westside Extension Pharmacy Technician Certificate Program totals over 490 hours of instruction, including valuable clinical training and an externship in which you will receive on-the-job training at a community pharmacy training site. Our comprehensive, certificate program is broken down into 6 class modules, and you can begin your training with 4 of the modules. With this format, you can get started on your new career as a Pharmacy Technician almost any month of the year!
Our program curriculum meets the requirements of the Association of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). When you complete the required course work and meet the state requirements, you are able to obtain a State of California Pharmacy Technician license and can work in retail pharmacies, hospitals and other healthcare settings.
Westside Extension Pharmacy Technician Program Features
• 6 required modules (classes) for the certificate.
• Start the program at the beginning of any of module except Hospital Pharmacy Services or Externship. The 5 classroom modules will be offered twice a year (repeating about every 6 months).
• Finish with your Externship module at a community pharmacy training site. This module is offered throughout the year.
• Complete our program in about 9 months.
• Class times conveniently scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday nights and Saturdays. Attend school while you work.
• Gain hands-on experience with software systems used in pharmacies, medical offices and hospitals.
• Our clinical training gives you greater opportunities to earn money as a Pharmacy Tech and to advance in your career.
• Quality, experienced instructors who know the profession.
• AFFORDABLE! Pay as you go in three installments (total $3,550). Fees for this first installment are due before first class; Refund requests only honored if made five days prior to first class.
• Save $250 by registering in full for the Full, 9-month Pharmacy Technician Certificate Program, which includes all 6 modules for $3,300 plus books, materials and other required fees. • Compare to programs costing thousands and thousands more!
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Classes meet Tuesdays & Thursdays 6:45-10 pm and Saturdays 9 am-5 pm. Dates and times are subject to change.
You will need to complete 5 classroom modules and one off-campus Externship module to complete the certificate program. Our installment plan allows you to pay for the program in three payments. This first part of the program covers ONLY the classroom modules listed below and costs $1,450. Part 2, covering your remaining classroom modules, will also cost $1,450 and will be due before you start that portion of class work. Part 3 covers the Externship module and will cost $650 and be due before you begin your externship. Books, materials and other required fees are in addition to these registration fees.
Module Schedule for this Program
A. Pharmacy Calculations April 11-May 6
Learn to perform the calculations related to drug dosage, measurements of strength and preparations of medications.
B. Retail Pharmacy Operations May 16-June 20 (no meeting May 27)
Gain an understanding of the roles and opportunities open to pharmacy technicians in retail, closed-door, home healthcare, and mail order pharmacy settings. Become competent in handling and gain hands-on experience preparing medications in our lab. Learn about pharmaceutical dosage forms, practice prescription labeling and perform role-playing scenarios. An emphasis will be on workforce professionalism and handling and preparing medications following legal and ethical guidelines.
Note, a new module starts approximately every month, so if this module schedule doesn't work for you, be sure to check another one. Additionally, when registering, is vitally important to pay attention to the module schedule and make sure you are registering for the one you want. Click here for a description of all modules.
Note: To participate in the clinical experiences, you must be a high school grad and at least 18 years old. You will also need to get a clear criminal background check and a clear drug screen (this and other lab materials will cost about $200.
Enroll today! To register for your first installment, add the class to your cart and checkout. Also, please complete this orientation questionnaire so we can learn more about you.
Click on the link to view or enroll in the Full 9-month Pharmacy Technician Certificate Program, which includes all 6 modules.
If you missed our last Free Orientation, then view a slideshow of it below.
Westside Extension Pharmacy Technician Training at West Los Angeles College