Healthcare is one of the most job-secure fields of the next few decades and knowledge of coding and billing can open lots of doors. Our certificate program will give you basic foundational knowledge and skills, an understanding of the types of jobs the knowledge applies to, and the variety of career paths. The program consists of 10 required classes, totaling more than 80 hours of class time, plus plenty of at-home and online practice. Developed by professionals in the field, it can be completed in about six months. Attend a FREE orientation session
to learn more about the field and our program and meet some of our instructors.
Participation in the Certificate Program is not required. Individual classes may be taken as long as you meet prerequisites. However, only students who successfully complete all required classes will earn our certificate.
Texts and necessary manuals are NOT included in the class fees.
Some required books may be purchased in our campus bookstore; all are available online. Expect to spend approximately $500 for these books which provide up-to-date information and are used throughout the program. Click here for our Medical Coding & Billing Book List
Because on-campus food services can be very limited, plan to bring a sack lunch for these all-day Saturday classes.
10 Required Courses for the Certificate program
- Health Insurance & Managed Care
- Body Systems & Terminology for Coders & Billers
- ICD Coding
- CPT/ HCPCS Coding
- Medical Billing 1
- Medical Billing 2
- Medical Billing 3
- Medical Coding 2
- Hospital Billing
- Customized Topics in Coding & Billing
- Penny Williams, MBA & CPC, has been coding and billing for more than 20 years and teaching since 2005.
- Meredith Flynn, MPH, is former Director of Contracting for UCLA Health Services. She continues to work for the University of California, Health Services Division as a consultant.
- Carol Buitrago has been in the healthcare industry for over 28 years and is now President of Buitrago Healthcare Consulting which provides consulting services for physician groups and individual MDs, health plans and hospitals.